Department of Microbiology & Biotechnology
The objective of this course is to familiarize the students with those concepts that are basic to viruses’ prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. Importance of sterilization in microbiology, sterility testing and standardization of pharmaceuticals
Microbiology is the study of organisms that are too small to be observed with the naked eye. Microorganisms include algae, bacteria and fungi. As a science, microbiology helps to improve human lives by providing identification-methods and by suggesting treatment methods for all manner of bacterial infections and diseases. Microbiologists also help to ensure a clean, healthy food supply. .
Environmental microbiology study the many ways microorganisms interact with the environment. Scientists working in this field usually place an emphasis on microorganisms’ interaction with plant life and animal life, as well as all environmental factors such as pollution and the changing of the seasons. Environmental microbiologists monitor the impact a constantly evolving Earth has on bacteria and other microorganisms. Environmental microbiologists may also study the ways in which certain microorganisms can work as effective agents to degrade various types of human and industrial waste products.
Medical microbiology places their focus on the detection, identification, and isolation of microorganisms -- such as bacteria and fungi -- that can cause disease. These scientists help to diagnose diseases such as meningitis and tuberculosis, and help to prevent the spread of diseases by identifying, containing, and treating disease in the human body. The work of medical microbiology is constantly evolving as new bacteria and infections are identified and categorized.
When focused on careers in the food industry, microbiology work with various food suppliers to ensure that products are free of pathogenic organisms before being delivered to the public. Microbiologists specializing in food-based bacteria can sometimes work with the Food and Drug Administration to help identify food products that can pose a risk to human health. Food industry microbiologists may also investigate food poisoning outbreaks, aiming to identify their causes in order to prevent recurrence.
Study the life cycle and reactions of various bacteria and other microorganisms in a clean, controlled environment. Microbiological research can have a large impact on illness prevention and treatment, and can influence how various medications are ultimately distributed to the public.
Pharmacy and pharmaceutical companies uses microbiology extensively. It is used
1) For production of medicines like antibiotics, enzymes vaccines, insulin, vitamins, steroids etc. Some of the substances are exclusively obtained from microbial cultures.Most anti-biotic are obtained only from microbes. Vitamin-B12 (cyanocobalamin) is obtained from culture of microbes. Similarly human insulin for diabetics is purely obtained from microbial culture by rDNA technology. Initially diabetics were given injection of insulin obtained from animals. But due to heavy demand and also compatibility problems (as it was animal derived) there was need for some other source of human insulin. Then rDNA technique involving E.coli bacteria was adopted to produce large amounts of human insulin which is even safe.
2) For sterilization of manufactured drugs. Microbes are destroyed by sterilization.
3) Also many new drugs are in search by use of microbiology. Since many antibiotics, enzymes etc were derived from microbes; still the microbes are searched for more new drugs.
Biotechnology is a science that uses the method and process for transformation of natural raw materials into useful product by the application of living organism in the industrial process. Thus, it is the biology in service to mankind.
Aim of Biotechnology
1) To develop industrial processes for production of antibiotics, enzymes etc.
2) To develop gene surgery and gene therapy to cure genetic disease.
3) To create improved varieties of plants and animals through genetic engineering and plant breeding.
4) To develop techniques for tissue culture, cell culture and organ transplantation.
5) To develop bio-energy
6) To develop biological processes of waste treatment to reduce the impact of pollution
7) To develop biological process of plant disease control.
Laboratory has equipped with
Laminar air flow
Hot air oven